Thursday, December 19, 2013

Short Hair Really Does Care


It's gone.

No more braids,

buns,

or curly high ponytails.

It's all gone. 


All of my luscious long brunette hair, chopped off, by the bony fingers of a hairdresser named Bonnie. 



This was my hair during Bye Bye Birdie       
And here's the drastic result of all this

Oh yes, it is short, much shorter than I asked for. Let me repeat the dialogue between Bonnie and I had when she chose to speak to me:

"Your hair is so thick and curly, you know you're luck right," she chuckled while putting an elephant sized amount of unknown products into my hair.

Me: "I know, it can be a pain though."

Bonnie: "Well you know you can always cut it right?"

Me: "That's what I was planning on doing today."

Bonnie: "How much do you want off?"

Me: "Um... about 3-4 inches kind of layered to my face."

Bonnie: "Okay, you just relax sweetie, I've got you covered."

I'll admit, at first I was ecstatic about having medium length hair again. It was easy to brush my hand through, soft, and it looked incredible! Every time I go on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, or Tumblr I see pictures of girls who like me only a few days ago, have long hair. Whyyy...

On the bright side, I've found a ton of new hairstyles that I can still wear, and this little blip in the timeline let me look up other women with a cut like mine.
Hehe this is where I enjoy being a Whovian,
having the same hair as Clara or as other people know her,
Jenna Louise Coleman, is awesome.
Image courtesy of Daily Mail
Okay I know, I don't have bangs but come on
who doesn't dream of looking like Zooey?
Image courtesy of Hair and Makeup by Steph

So we may not look alike but come on, it's Rashida Freaking Jones
Image courtesy of Style Bistro


You asked for the typical life of Grace, this is it. Bask in the awkward my friends, bask in the awkward mist that is my existence. 


A Tribe Called Quest


Grace's Pick: 



I'll admit, when I was looking at my list of bands, artists, songs, and albums to review, I wasn't entirely excited for this one. Personally, I don't listen to hip-hop because typically it's pretty derogatory and degrading to be honest. But you know what? I trekked through my prejudice and actually listened.

I'm proud of me.

Image courtesy of Wordpress.com
A Tribe Called Quest is actually a pretty awesome band. The band includes: Q-Tip, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Phife Dawg, and Jarobi White. They were created in 1985, became one of the greatest pioneers of hip-hop and alternative hip-hop, but eventually separated their own ways before the turn of the millenium. About seven years ago the band got back together and did a United States tour! 

I was pleasantly surprised to learn about how A Tribe Called Quest didn't just talk about pop culture, they actually discussed huge issues within society. A few of those issues were date rape, the use of the word 'nigger', and black culture during the 90's. Not only did they pave out the pathways for other hip-hop artists of today like Kanye West, Drake, Eminem, and Jay-Z, they did it in a way to be proud of. 

It's nearly impossible to pick a favorite album out of their collection, but mine would be The Low End TheoryIt was entertaining, catchy, always had a good hook to it, and was fun to listen to even while writing you at six in the morning. 

What's Next?


Image courtesy of Chester Nite Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment