Friday, November 15, 2013

Tech Week Madness


Guess what week it is in Gracetopia? No, not Shark Week.



Image courtesy of What Should Theatre Call Me


TECH WEEK 


Now for those of you who aren't thespians, tech week stands for technology week, also known as don't-screw-up-and-you-better-have-all-your-stuff-together-week. For those of you who don't know, I'm currently in the fall musical at my school, Bye Bye Birdie which opens next week. Now, I'm going to lay down some hardcore theatre knowledge for you right now, so take notes children.

Image courtesy of Meme Generator

The Hopes of Tech Rehearsals:

  1. Everyone has all of their lines, songs, blocking, and choreography memorized.  
  2. All of the microphones are worn correctly (on the cheekbone), and they perform properly.
  3. Scene changes are crisp, short, and people are ready in time for the next scene.
  4. Little problems can be easily fixed occasionally if they are there.
  5. The orchestra/music is timed perfectly with the show

The Reality of Tech Rehearsal

  1. More time is spent on lines, songs, blocking, and choreography than a genius could calculate.
  2. Microphones are dropped, stepped on, worn next to mouths, and end up malfunctioning anyways. Who cares if they cost over $500 a piece right? 
  3. Scene changes result in the possible loss of limbs and or cast members.
  4. Little problems become bigger problems, resulting in the entire cast having to start full scenes over from the beginning. Cue the sighs, moans, and groans.
  5. The orchestra, oh all the things that can go wrong with the orchestra...
  6. People funding the tech department with all their missed cues, lyrics, steps, and blocking fees. 
I guess you could say I'm not nervous because, well I'm not for now. Something about tech rehearsal makes you scared about what could happen, the possibilities are endless. Right now it is less than a week till Bye Bye Birdie opens, I really don't know how I feel about that. Talk to me after hell week, maybe I could tell you that I was excited but jittery at the same time. At the moment, I'm a bit worried that I'm not nervous. Should I be scared? Should I be relaxed? Too many emotions and so little time! Maybe the best way to sum up my emotions is in one word: overwrought. Bye bye readers, I'll be back once I return from my ten-hour rehearsal! Wish me luck!

Grace's Song of the Week:

"Honestly Sincere" from Bye Bye Birdie (Sorry for the crappy video quality, I promise the next one will be better!)


No comments:

Post a Comment