Thursday, May 15, 2014

If You Know Nothing About Theatre...

I know a lot of you only read this blog because I talk about my own life, a lot, and maybe a bit too often. I enjoy that, it's easy and simple, but that wasn't the intent of this blog. I need to stay true to the theme of this blog, or I'd be a bodacious blogger. I was reminded of this fact by my friend the other day when he complimented the "show" part of "Life As We Show It". Now, what kind of person would I be if I didn't completely geek out about the ten best theatrical shows? Not the Geeky Grace that we both know, GSquared don't roll like that.

Over the past weekend I faced an existential crisis when I was hanging out with my friends: what are the best Broadway shows and how do I state them without having my theatre friends rip me apart when we disagree?

I, uh, oh well I guess... I'll shut up
Courtesy of University of Sydney
The answer? Don't say a word. They may sound petty, but a simple discussion over "which show has a better female lead" can turn into World War III with the misuse of a single word.

There are ten shows though, that will always be in the Monarchy of Broadway. These are not perhaps the best shows that have ever been on Broadway, but these are perhaps some of the most well-known and the ones that will give you the most death stares if you don't know what they are.

Courtesy of Wikipedia
10 // Death of a Salesman - One of the greatest plays ever performed on Broadway, Death of a Salesman is a classic that opened on Broadway in the late 1940s. This tragedy follows a businessman named Willy and his son Biff, both striving to make it in the business world. I suggest watching this with a parent or a close friend as it is incredibly eye-opening, not to mention a tearjerker.


9 // Grease - I've seen the movie hundreds of times, as I bet you all have too. The actual Broadway musical though, is even more fantastic, if that is even possible. The musical came on Broadway in 1971, and the movie followed it seven years later. It is the classic story of high-school lovers set in the late 50s, of Sandy Dumbroski, a smart and innocent sweetheart, and Danny Zuko, the rebellious teen with a history with the ladies. See it with your friends, your boyfriend/girlfriend, to remember or to imagine what your high school love story would have played out in the 1950s. 

Had to use it.
Courtesy of readeroffictions


8 // Rent - Maybe you know Idina Menzel (Adele Nazib) from Frozen and possibly the next musical I'll talk about, but Rent is truly where she got her Broadway premiere. Rent is quite the liberal show, about a becoming film-maker and the life he's living in. Mark and his friend Roger run into romantic issues, Roger getting over his girlfriend who committed suicide who later meets an exotic dancer named Mimi. Mark and his group of friends live a "bohemian lifestyle", rioting, protesting, and contracting lethal diseases all at the same time. A show about friendship and love, bring your closest group of liberal friends to see how friendships go through tough times. 
Doesn't this just scream "strike" to you?
Courtesy of stagedoordish
"I have a crush on Fiyero... don't tell anyone, okay?"
Courtesy of California Musical Theatre
7 // Wicked - Here's another Idina Menzel show, also a Kristen Chenoweth show not to mention. Most people know the story of Dorothy when she visits Oz, but the less familiar story is that of Elphaba also known as "The Wicked Witch of the West" and Galinda or "Glinda the Good". A story about love and betrayal, friendships and crimes of passion, I highly recommend going as soon as possible. It's kind of freaking fantastic. Go with your madre or your bestie, go with anyone really, just go! 


So pretty for an
ugly murderous family.
Courtesy of 
6 // Pippin - The story of a young prince and his journey to find his corner of the sky. Just listen and you'll kind of get the marvelous gist of Pippin. There's also a blog post about it. Read my children... Don't go with your mother.

5 // Arsenic and Old Lace - I don't know how I would classify this show, it's kind of comedic... but it's really dark. It's about a murderous family who use different methods to commit homicide. So extremely bright and cheery! Bring a friend, or sit alone... whatever you like.

4 // A Streetcar Named Desire - Okay, this one is super dark. Super dark. Darker than the 99% chocolate I'm going to binge on at Whole Foods. This play is the tragedy of a woman named Blanche and her mental journey to relieve herself of her horror ridden past. But what happens when you try to forget the past? It spits up on your face. Yucky. This show is one I suggest going stag, unless you want your bestie to see you bawl all over the place.
Oh and did I mention the movie has this hunk?
Courtesy of Arts Beat 

3 // Les Miserables - Red, the blood of angry men! Black, the dawn of ages past! The classic story of the French Revolution and all of the tragedies that occurred during the horrendous war. Take everyone to this show, especially that one history buff you know! Or take your friend that you need to admit feelings towards! Just don't go... on your own!
"All my friends are dead" in French
Courtesy of Pinterest.com
2 // Chicago - Maybe it's so high on the list because it's all I've been singing and thinking about for the past two weeks, maybe it's not... but Chicago is the musical of dreams. There are no more badass characters than Velma Kelly and Roxie, literally the biggest bamfs on Broadway. Super scandalous, super murderous, and super sexy... and all that jazz. Go with your bestie and get dolled up because this is one fine piece of entertainment that needs a best friend.


Come on babe why don't we hit the town... and all that jazz
Courtesy of tickpicks

1 // Phantom of the Opera - Before you go and watch the movie, read the book, read the script, and see the show. The most incredible musical ever, with the amazing score that only the greatest can play and or sing. There are only a few people in the world with the talents to play Christine and the Phantom. It's that good. It is the King of musicals. Go with ANYONE!

Now you can't quote me on any of these things, and if any theatre geeks carrying torches start looking for me... I'm not hiding in the prop closet I promise. But if you haven't learned anything about theatre in the weeks I've been doing this for English, at least you know ten of the greatest shows ever.

This has been "Life as We Show It", and I've loved every part of it.




It's been real,


Your author, Grace.
P.S. Just kidding, I'm writing over the summer you dinguses.

No comments:

Post a Comment