Thursday, June 26, 2014

Camp Totally Rad

I haven't been too punctual recently, but trust me I have the greatest excuse any teenager can say during the summer... I was at camp. No, no, not the one's I'm working at Egyptian or Swaner, but me physically being a camper at a summer camp. Not only was I staying there for about four days, I was also staying overnight.

Where was this lovely experience taking place you may ask?

Oh maybe just the best place ever...
 
Camp Tuttle
I've been going to Camp Tuttle since I was a wee little fifth-grader about to venture into the big world of sixth grade. Honestly, the first time I went to camp I was really scared since I had only gone to Girl Scout Camp before if it meant I was staying over somewhere. Ever since that first week up in the mountains by Brighton, I was hooked. So if you all are reading to hear about Grace's most recent love affair, consider me on the arm of this good ole' camp here.
 
For the past four days I've been up in Big Cottonwood Canyon in the forests of Utah. Like most camps situated in forests, it can tend to be a little cold. Fortunately as I am pretty adept to cold living in the mountains 24/7, I was more than prepared when the snowstorm came in.
 
Um, who doesn't is the real question?
 Oh yeah, while most of you are chillaxing on the beach somewhere tropical and moist, it was snowing in Utah in June. Consider yourself lucky, or unlucky for a few of you ski-bums.
 
 
These past few days were pretty terrific. Since I've been going to Camp Tuttle my whole life practically, I've always wanted to work there as a counselor. I mean, come on, you get some of the best food in the world for the entire summer in one of the most gorgeous places I know of. I'd call that fantastic. Oh and also, the people are pretty great too!
 
. My four days of wilderness were spent at Leadership Camp which meant tons of fun with all the other campers I've been raised with for the past five years. Although, there were a lot of new things that I never expected out of this camp... for example:
 
  • The DrumBus came and jammed out with us on over 20 epic drums and other instruments! It was awesome to spend some time back with percussion, but it made me even more excited to get my ukulele by the end of the summer.
  • Snow in June. Self-explanatory.
  • Making friends with some new people, even though I've known them for years I never got to actually know them more than just cabinmates.
  • Learning a bit more about myself with the help of the Inclusion Center.
  • Staying inside for almost an entire day due to a foot or so of snow on the ground did I mention... in June!
    You would think Mother Nature would understand that June is in summer
It was really memorable, especially since I won't be going to Camp Tuttle for their High School camp, which is typically the highlight of my summer. I got to see all the counselors, cabins, and campers I love, so I think I'm set with camp for this summer.



What a surprising summer,



GSwizzle (or whatever camp name I'll receive next year!)


P.S. If you've been reading my recent posts, you'd know that I have a special catchphrase that says my next post will be about my summer reading assignment... so here it is friends, I'm having lasagna tomorrow for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment