Friday, March 14, 2014

Illegally Blonde

Feminism in the movies? What is this thing you speak of? Do people actively campaign for social justice in rom-coms and dramatic films? Yes, yes they do. Some movies are so incredible that the subliminal message of girl power is quoted and repeated many years after it is released. That happens to be the case with one of my favorite films in existence: Legally Blonde.

Okay, maybe a bit overboard, but there is no problem with being a dreamer!
Courtesy of Huffington Post
Reese Witherspoon being gorgeous as always.
Courtesy of Filmiblog
Being an advocate for women's rights, I adore films that support girl power, feminism, or whatever you wish to call it! Recently a few of my really close friends and I have been discussing the importance of feminism, and the media always surfaces in our discussions. My mother being the wonderfully wise woman she is, showed me films like Legally Blonde, Miss Congeniality, and 9 to 5 since I was a little kid. Thank goodness for that, or else I would have missed out on this totally amazing movie.

Most girls see this movie growing up, it's a classic from the 2000s. Oh yes, we can say that since we live in the 2010s right? What is this era even called? Anyways... back to Legally Blonde!


Quick Synopsis:

Elle Woods, president of the Delta Nu sorority at CULA had everything a girl needed: the look, the clothes, the boy, and the Bruiser, her Chihuahua of course! SPOILERS AHEAD! On a big date with her Boo, Warner, he dumps her instead of proposing like she expected. She makes it her mission to get into Harvard Law School so that she can win Warner back. After being accepted Elle faces loads of criticism by her peers and professors based on their first impressions of her. She even discovers that Warner never appreciated her for who she was, just the outer shell of makeup and incredibly fashionable clothes. She worked hard to obtain a prestigious internship from her professor, an internship where she'd be working a controversial court case. She soon discovers her professor had been using her once he made sexual advances toward her. She has a moment of weakness then gets right back up to win the case stronger than ever! Hence ending one of the greatest movies ever.


Not to mention, this movie has the greatest collection of gifs, pictures, and quotes one could ever hope for. Here are some of the best gifs, quotes, and pictures from Legally Blonde:

The Bend and Snap:
Bennnd and SNAP! Courtesy of Huffington Post
If you know me as well as you think you do, you'd know that I am not afraid to do the Bend and Snap at any time of the day. Just woke up? Bennnd and snap! Tripped in front of your crush? Bennnd and snap! Made it into Harvard Law? Bennnd and snap! 



Endorphins:
This is why we exercise ladies! Just kidding, we all know I don't do sports.
Courtesy of Sometimes Healthy Living Blog
This one speaks for itself. Exercise is good for you even though it is sometimes painful, ugly, and heartbreakingly evil difficult. When I find myself in times of trouble, Elle Woods comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't".



Fashion Quotes:


This one happens to be my favorite because it is humorous and it breaks stereotypical prejudice at the same time. Honestly, she's not wrong though, orange is not the new pink or black for that matter. Could you imagine movies like "Pretty in Pink" being called "Pretty in Orange", more like "Outrageous in Orange" am I right?

Believing in Yourself:



If Elle Woods can go through an absolute traumatic series of events and graduate at the top of her class at Harvard, you can pass your finals. No matter what's going on it is important to remain true to yourself, work hard, and have faith.


I love this movie with a passion as many of you know. I feel like I should make this a thing, talking about my favorite movies weekly or something like that. Not to mention I have wayyy too much fun looking through endless Google pages of gifs of the Bend and Snap.


Don't stomp your little last season Prada shoes at me,

Grace is out for the weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment