Sunday, March 30, 2014

Happy Holi-Days

Okay guys, you can stop hiding. This weekend was incredibly special to me as even I was a bit nervous about this weekend because guess who had a Region Drama Competition and a Holi Festival to go to in two days? This girl right here.

So that left me feeling one of two ways:

"Oh my squash, hallelujah my day has come!"                          "Nope. Nope. Nopity-nope nope."
Courtesy of Mashable
Courtesy of Reaction Gifs

Let the weekend begin!

So the weekend is over. And the results are in. This weekend was...
It truly was worth of a Barney Stinson gif. Courtesy of broadwaybox
Me and my Juan Diego buds
(I realize I can't draw a guy, shush it.)

Saturday - Region Drama Competition: I woke up at five on a Saturday for one reason and only one reason: Region Drama. We drove there, waited an hour and a half and finally started the competition. I was participating in the dramatic monologue competition, which let me tell you, is always highly competitive. I was not only going against the one and only Emma, but a sensation named Mateja plus all the other competition in the region. Gorgeously talented people indeed.


 In the end Park City took home 1st One Act, 1st and 3rd in Dramatic Monologue, 1st in Comedic Monologue, 1st Musical Theatre, 3rd Contemporary Scenes, and third overall. Not to mention, I met some fantastic kids there from a rival school in our region, Juan Diego. *Muse voice from Hercules* And whoda thunk? 


Sunday - Holi Festival (Festival of Colors): I type this sentence after not one but two excruciatingly long, oops-I-used-all-the-hot-water showers. That's not to say that I didn't love Holi Fest, because I absolutely adored it. This was my second time going, with mi amigos, Brady, Casey, Isaac, Whitney, and Brady's wonderful mother, Alisa. 

Before shot

We drove off harmonizing songs from Lehi to Spanish Fork, which was a surprisingly longer drive than I remembered. We happened to be some of the first people at the festival this year so we parked and went in. If you've never been to a Holi Festival, you'd be shocked to find out that this colorful and crazy party is alcohol and drug free. I know, it's hard to believe considering the happiness and friendliness of all the people, but it is just a "sacred" space for everyone.

From left to right, Isaac, me, Alisa, Casey, Brady, and Whit.

Actually, it's really a ton of people celebrating spring and unity, and being a part of a different culture. It also means dancing like no one is watching (well as long as you're in my group) and wearing different animal masks (yet again, typically only my group). I sit in my bed successfully worn out, my legs hurt from jumping, dancing, and swaggering around; my arms have put themselves in the air like they just didn't care many a time; and my face has been washed time after time even after wearing a gorilla mask. 

The bros and moi, Casey (left) and Isaac

In one day, I think Isaac, Casey, and I took at least fifteen selfies, thirty family photos, and at least four giant group photos for other people. Not to mention, a reporter from The Deseret News came and photographed us several times, we were like her personal muses. It was fan-freaking-tastic. 

I was also thrown on shoulders, nearly crowd surfed, hugged strangers, competed in a dance battle, covered people in chalk, and met new friends, I mean, that's a good day right there!

I can definitely say that I have been cleansed. Seeing my best friends for the first time in a few months was amazing, not to mention we got to repeat our favorite tradition. I cannot wait till next year to do this again! If you didn't get the chance to go to the temple in Spanish Fork this year, I promise the wait will be worth it. I shall leave you with photos from le Color Fest.

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
The majestic Brady in his
natural habitat.
After shot (starring Grace as Monkey Mania)

When the masks come off, the color
comes out!


In a world of pure imagination,

Monkey Mania

No comments:

Post a Comment